THE ROMANIAN DEADLIFT : DEMONSTRATED BY ROMANIAN WEIGHTLIFTER, NICU VLAD. NICU WAS ONCE COACHED BY NOW U.S.A. WL
COACH, DRAGOMIR CIOROSLAN WHO IS FORMERLY FROM ROMANIA.
The following description is a quote from Dragomir Cioroslan from a back issue of "Weightlifting USA" magazine, on how to correctly perform a Romanian Deadlift, RDL.
1. Start in the completed deadlift position.
2. Bend the knees slightly.
3. Lower the bar by pushing the hips back.
4. Lower the bar below the knees but not to the platform. Tension must remain on the muscles . Stand on blocks if you want to get lower.
5. The position should be, "SHINS VERTICAL, HIPS BACK, and BACK STRAIGHT".
6. The movement should not be fast but steady and under control all the way.
7. The back must remain straight. The movement is from the hips. The arms remain straight throughout.
8. Breathing: Take a deep breath at the start of the movement and keep the chest up throughout. Hold your breath as you lower and exhale as you complete the movement.
9. Start light to develop the technique and "feel" of the movement.