Physical Advancement

Physical Advancement (http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Main Forum (http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Shot put? (http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13696)

Jay Lee 09-20-2008 03:46 PM

Shot put?

Hey, just wondering how many weightlifters on this forum did shot put. I have currently been thinking of doing shotput. Anyone have any insights on how to improve before the season starts, and how to improve in every way? Also, is high benching good for shot put? or related to how far you throw?

John Schuna 09-20-2008 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Lee
Hey, just wondering how many weightlifters on this forum did shot put. I have currently been thinking of doing shotput. Anyone have any insights on how to improve before the season starts, and how to improve in every way? Also, is high benching good for shot put? or related to how far you throw?

Perhaps you could tell me how old you are? What level are you entering for competition - high school - collegiate - post collegiate?

To answer your question about benching and the Shot-Put...There has been some interesting correlational research conducted on this very topic

Younger athletes tend to have a very high correlation between high performance levels in the Shot-Put (i.e., they throw it far) and high bench press numbers. However, this relationship becomes less significant as the athlete progresses. That just means that as technique improves over time and the athlete switches from the high school implement (12 lb) to the international implement (16 lb) that bench press numbers become less important. At least in terms of predicting performance in the Shot-Put.

Alex Klotz 09-20-2008 06:57 PM

According to accomplished coach and thrower Dan John, overhead squats are an excellent exercise for improving throwing.l

Jay Lee 09-20-2008 08:21 PM

Ah, sorry I forgot to mention that i'm still in high school, as a junior. The only time I have done shot put was in 7th grade which I threw for 33 feet with a 10 pound ball. My bench is at 335 now and if theirs anything else needed i can add on :)

John Schuna 09-20-2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Lee
Ah, sorry I forgot to mention that i'm still in high school, as a junior. The only time I have done shot put was in 7th grade which I threw for 33 feet with a 10 pound ball. My bench is at 335 now and if theirs anything else needed i can add on :)

As far as improving your shotputting ability, you're going to have to work technique specific to the shotput. I would suggest looking at videos online to get an idea of what proper technique should look like. www.macthrowvideo.com is one website that has many high quality videos.

Some friends of mine also have a site called www.throwfarther.com. They also have a lot of good throwing clips (usually smaller files than from Mac Throw). I'm not sure if you're going to practice the glide or rotational techniques? but videos of Ulf Timmerman are pretty textbook in my opinion with regards to glide technique (specifically for the type of glide he practiced - the Short-Long glide as they called it). You will see a lot of variation in rotational technique, but in my personal opinion clips of Andy Bloom, C.J. Hunter, Randy Barnes (Pre-Steroid Ban - 1990 and before), and John Godina are all good starting points. I suggest you try and videotape yourself and then compare techniques. Realize though that proper technique is and should be very individualized - just use the videos as a starting point.

As far as training, use a combination of the Olympic and power lifts. Cleans, Jerks, Push Presses, Snatches, Bench Presses, and Squats (Front & Back) are staples of most world class throwers. Deadlifts would also be a good option from time to time (Throwers are notoriously weak deadlifters - probably because many hardly ever train them). Also try to incorporate plyometric work to accustom the body to rapid and explosive force applications.

Lastly, although you may be looking for weight training advice specific to improving the throws realize this......There have been many very strong (and even explosive) individuals who were absolutely horrendous Shotputters. You have to train technique by actually throwing the implement. There is no substitute. When I first started throwing shot in high school I threw 33'9" in my first meet (I sucked). Two months later I threw 47'9.5". Why? I didn't get any stronger in that time period. I took an outrageous amount of throws per day, that's why I got better (Many days of 200+ throws). Now I wouldn't suggest using the volume I just detailed (Will more than likely cause injury) but be prepared to let your weight room work suffer to learn the technical aspects first.

Jay Lee 09-20-2008 11:36 PM

thanks for the advice :D

Matt Dawson 09-21-2008 04:11 PM

I recently earned NCAA All-American honors in the shot-put this past spring so i would like to think i know a decent amount on the subject... With that said there is nothing you can do to improve your shot like PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Honestly the shot is 10% strength 90% technique. The only way to improve your technique is to throw throw throw and throw some more. I had to learn this the hard way....believe me. All i wanted to do was lift and lift and throw here and there. When i started to put throwing as my priority instead of lifting my distances increased tremendously.

Jonathan Macfarlane 09-21-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Dawson
I recently earned NCAA All-American honors in the shot-put this past spring so i would like to think i know a decent amount on the subject... With that said there is nothing you can do to improve your shot like PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Honestly the shot is 10% strength 90% technique. The only way to improve your technique is to throw throw throw and throw some more. I had to learn this the hard way....believe me. All i wanted to do was lift and lift and throw here and there. When i started to put throwing as my priority instead of lifting my distances increased tremendously.

Word.

I think I'd take anything Schuna or Dawson say to be pretty much gospel.

I got up to 61' in HS with the glide, not awe inspiring, but good enough to get a few look ins from US colleges. Practice is key. One of the coaches here who threw 65' back in the 60's in the Matson-Long era recommended throwing until you bleed, then coming back and doing it again the next day. That's pretty much what is required to do well.

I'm pretty confident I could throw the 16lber at least about 52' on no training right now, might make a little comeback and do some club meets. Did a highland games last year and threw 50' with a 16 stone and 57' with a 6kg shot, so all that training done in HS hasn't been lost.

steve Barkley 09-22-2008 07:19 AM

I have to agree with Dawson, TECHIQUE is what will help you a lot. You might not throw as far at first, but once you get the techique down, the distance will come. And practice, as much as you can. Nothing can help you throw farther then actually throwing.

Jay Lee 09-22-2008 07:48 AM

thanks cant wait for the season to start up, i wanna try to get a scholor ship so i gotta try my best