Physical Advancement

Physical Advancement (http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Training and Injuries (http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pain in back of knee (http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15001)

Billy Wolt 01-13-2009 12:48 PM

Pain in back of knee

I have pain in the back of my knee when doing a full squat, kneeling or doing a quad stretch in which you pull your foot tight to your but.

After yesterdays squatting, I have had this dull achey feeling, and now it's painful when I walk and my leg is stretched fully.

No swelling or anything visual.

I'm going to put the squats on hold for now.

Thoughts?

JimmyHerbst 01-13-2009 01:37 PM

Don't squat 3 times a week if you're an old man? :B:

JustinLallemand 01-13-2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Wolt (Post 244515)
I have pain in the back of my knee when doing a full squat, kneeling or doing a quad stretch in which you pull your foot tight to your but.

After yesterdays squatting, I have had this dull achey feeling, and now it's painful when I walk and my leg is stretched fully.

Thoughts?

I'd be interested in this too. Seems almost like I hyper-extend it occasionally. I noticed that it occurred when I hadn't been doing deep olympic or front squats. What seems to help, although painful as hell, is to work through it oly style (feet shoulder width or a little wider and at a 15 degree angle or so). If it's really bad, just use body weight or even bands to assist. I did this for a few days, then light oly squats (same foot placement.) I read something recently about knees occassionally not "tracking" correctly and this was a suggestion to cause the knee to track better.

If you only deadlift and say, parallel PL-style squat, you might try this to sort of "reset" your knees. Warm up VERY well too. My problem might have been completely different, but I have to say, my knees were hurting to walk up stairs, but this pain has gotten much better since.

If you have bands, warm up with knee sleeves on, then try this out with some BW assistance if needed using the bands - then add weight. I'd be interested to know if this works for you to see if it's the same issue.

JustinLallemand 01-13-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Wolt (Post 244515)

Thoughts?

Not sure how - but I missed the "full squat" and quad stretch.....my bad.

The foot placement and starting back for a week or so with high reps with BW or less might help. Use bands tied to a power rack to take off weight. One other possibility, if your knee wraps or whatever you use are thick or bunch when you are at the bottom, this may "lever" the joint, sort of pulling it apart.

Just another thought after actually reading your question closely :o

Billy Wolt 01-14-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinLallemand (Post 244638)
Not sure how - but I missed the "full squat" and quad stretch.....my bad.

The foot placement and starting back for a week or so with high reps with BW or less might help. Use bands tied to a power rack to take off weight. One other possibility, if your knee wraps or whatever you use are thick or bunch when you are at the bottom, this may "lever" the joint, sort of pulling it apart.

Just another thought after actually reading your question closely :o

Thx justin. I don't wear wraps when I squat and I squat narrow now.

I will avoid squats for two weeks before I take a trip to the doc

Jesse Polanco 01-14-2009 12:24 PM

Go to youtube and search "buddy morris knee"

Watch all of the parts

Dane Kelley 01-14-2009 04:04 PM

thats funny ive been having the same problem

Colin Anderson 01-15-2009 10:35 AM

That Buddy Morris video might have given me the solution to my knee trouble! Fantastic!

Billy Wolt 01-15-2009 06:18 PM

thanks for the vid's jesse. I'll try that out.

Dane, are you squatting through it??

Dane Kelley 01-15-2009 06:43 PM

no sir i have drop the squatting and found out that the knee pain was related to the hip problem i have been having