Go Back   Physical Advancement > Forums Home > Training and Injuries

Old 12-06-2007
Chris Hickson

Default How to tell if you have weak hips

any way to to see if your hips are weak?

I am not exactly sure what "hips" are?
Old 12-06-2007
Valued Member

Alex Apostol is a name known to all Alex Apostol is a name known to all Alex Apostol is a name known to all Alex Apostol is a name known to all Alex Apostol is a name known to all Alex Apostol is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Alex Apostol

Trouble locking out your deads is a sign of weak hips, and being weak on wider stance squats or if you do a good morning when you squat. Although there could be other problems as well.

For me, I can gauge my posterior chain strength by doing sumo deads with no gear and with perfect technique. Since I'm not built at all for the lift, I do considerably less weight than conventional.
Old 12-06-2007
Chris Hickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Apostol
Trouble locking out your deads is a sign of weak hips, and being weak on wider stance squats or if you do a good morning when you squat. Although there could be other problems as well.

For me, I can gauge my posterior chain strength by doing sumo deads with no gear and with perfect technique. Since I'm not built at all for the lift, I do considerably less weight than conventional.
oo would you say from my dead vids I need "hip work"
Old 12-06-2007
Valued Member

Alex Apostol is a name known to all Alex Apostol is a name known to all Alex Apostol is a name known to all Alex Apostol is a name known to all Alex Apostol is a name known to all Alex Apostol is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hickson
oo would you say from my dead vids I need "hip work"
Probably. You could use a healthy dose of beltless Romanian Deadlifts w/ no back rounding.
Old 12-07-2007
Valued Member

craig kruse has a spectacular aura about craig kruse has a spectacular aura about craig kruse has a spectacular aura about

with your deadlift, squat, front squat, and stone strength I would say you are far from having "weak hips"

You are very tough on yourself and that is a very good thing. It keeps you motivated and pushing yourself.

What makes you ask if you have weak hips?

Work Hard, Believe In Yourself, Never Stop Dreaming

Goals
win 200# class at nationals by 2011
win Masters LW class at nationals in 2012
Old 12-07-2007
Valued Member

Ryan Brown is a glorious beacon of light Ryan Brown is a glorious beacon of light Ryan Brown is a glorious beacon of light Ryan Brown is a glorious beacon of light Ryan Brown is a glorious beacon of light Ryan Brown is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig kruse
with your deadlift, squat, front squat, and stone strength I would say you are far from having "weak hips"

You are very tough on yourself and that is a very good thing. It keeps you motivated and pushing yourself.

What makes you ask if you have weak hips?
Craig, I assume he means weak hips, relatively speaking when compared to his other body parts.

I'm not sure the ability to lock out a deadlift can be used as a test for determining if you have weak hips because there could be other variables at play. In fact, on variable could be that you have very strong hips--and also very tight hip flexors. Sometimes when this is the case, it actually prevents you from engaging your glutes. The glutes are in large part responsible for locking out the deadlift--you feel it in your hips because the hip flexors are extending and stretching when you lock out, but it is the glutes that are contracting and doing the work. You can solve this by stretching out your hip flexors prior to the DL workout.

People talk about hips, but in fact the hips are essentially a bone. The hip flexors are the muscles that raise your legs or forward when you walk from the hips.

Another reason that lockout on deadlift cannot really tell you if you have weak anything is that it could just be a form issue. If you are starting your deadlift from a stiff leg type starting position then you will be in a rough spot for the lockout. I do this myself and it is not bad necessarily; just a fact. But often you see guys miss a deadlift at the lockout with say 700 and yet they can rack pull 850 lbs from that same height because when they rack pull they are in a better position.

I don't know exactly how you tell if you have weak hips.
Old 12-07-2007
Valued Member

Zach Snyder is a name known to all Zach Snyder is a name known to all Zach Snyder is a name known to all Zach Snyder is a name known to all Zach Snyder is a name known to all Zach Snyder is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Brown
I'm not sure the ability to lock out a deadlift can be used as a test for determining if you have weak hips because there could be other variables at play. In fact, on variable could be that you have very strong hips--and also very tight hip flexors. Sometimes when this is the case, it actually prevents you from engaging your glutes. The glutes are in large part responsible for locking out the deadlift--you feel it in your hips because the hip flexors are extending and stretching when you lock out, but it is the glutes that are contracting and doing the work. You can solve this by stretching out your hip flexors prior to the DL workout.
i agree.

lots of times people who think they have weak hips, actually have weak glutes, or "inactive" glutes. This is where prehab work (hip mobility/glute activation) comes in handy. I don't know if i'd stretch the hip flexors in a traditional sense, but i'd do mobility work or anything that gets your hips moving in different planes (leg swings, leg circles, reverse hypers, various lunges, etc).
Old 12-07-2007

John Sullivan is on a distinguished road

"Weak" hips is a tricky term, since as Ryan said they are essentially bone. It's also important to remember that the hip musculature is responsible for more than just hip extension. The various muscles acting on the hip joint are also responsible for hip flexion, abduction, adduction and internal and external hip rotation. Many of they muscles also have more than one function (i.e. flexion and rotation).

You also have to take into account the ability (or inability) of the abdominal muscles to stabilize the pelvis and the potential effects the interplay of core and leg musculature has on lower extremity strength / weakness. As Ryan said, it can be more than a singular issue of a weak isolated muscle, and often is due to the fact that muscles work in groups to accomplish various tasks. A "weakness" could very well just be an inability of muscles to fire together.

So....I don't know if that answers your question or makes things worse. But I without seeing someone do some sort of movement screen it's difficult to assess.

Built For Battle:
http://blog.built-for-battle.com/
Old 12-07-2007
Serious Contributer

Dave Bernreuther is a glorious beacon of light Dave Bernreuther is a glorious beacon of light Dave Bernreuther is a glorious beacon of light Dave Bernreuther is a glorious beacon of light Dave Bernreuther is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Snyder
i agree.

lots of times people who think they have weak hips, actually have weak glutes, or "inactive" glutes. This is where prehab work (hip mobility/glute activation) comes in handy. I don't know if i'd stretch the hip flexors in a traditional sense, but i'd do mobility work or anything that gets your hips moving in different planes (leg swings, leg circles, reverse hypers, various lunges, etc).
This was the case with me. I had achey hips that I thought were weak for several months earlier this year, only to find out that swapping out my usual power squats for all front squats, SSB squats and more deadlifting, I simply made my glutes less active. In my case, stretching the hip flexors actually seemed to make things worse. All along I was trying that and to work in some more quad work, when in fact it was my glutes causing it all along. It took me ONE regular back squat workout to solve my hip issues. Seriously, one day. I'm kicking myself now because I wasted so much time. Now that I'm back on track and getting stronger again, I'm really eager to try the stones. I was lacking hip pop before (could easily lap 300+ but couldn't even get the 260 to 52") and now I'm curious to see the difference.

Chris, in your case, I'd say to just carefully plan your routine and make it well-rounded. If you're getting a good mix of squats in there with your deads and stone work, you should be fine.
Old 12-07-2007
Valued Member

Right. There isn't really a "hip" muscle, but it refers to a combination of muscles including the glutes and hip flexors (such as the psoas).