Go Back   Physical Advancement > Forums Home > Training and Injuries

Old 10-14-2005
Todd Irvin

Mr_T is on a distinguished road
Default Time off from lifting? How Often?

I'm sure some of you take a week or so off here and there, and it's quite possible that others don't hardly ever take time off.

What do you all reccommend?
Old 10-14-2005
Serious Contributer

Mike Yuen is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Mike Yuen

I don't know about you but on my training i take 1 week off every 9 weeks in my routine.

however ..its not strong man training...more like Powerlifting/bodybuilding.

I would think strongman would have to rest at least a week or longer...probably take a break after every 9-16weeks..
Old 10-14-2005
Dan Harrison

Break? What the hell does that mean...a break? Only before a contest...train stones and medium heavy events on sunday 6 days prior to the meet, then no training until contest day the next saturday, so 5 days full rest. I do 1 day of hard plyometrics on a tuesday or wednesday though to prep for the meet.
Old 10-15-2005
Valued Member

Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Campbell

I dont like to take breaks. But its good to take one if its been a long time about every 4-6months its good to take a 2-4day break.

I wouldnt worry bout a break unless you start gettin fatigued. If ya can usually do lets say 230 on log for 5reps and then for some reason for 2 weeks in a row ya can only ever put up 1-2 reps no matter how hard ya try. Then ya cant get up a 220 stone even though ya know ya can. It helps to take a break even if it is just mental. Get a little bit of rest and come back evne harder.
Old 10-16-2005
Serious Contributer

Matt Parkes is just really nice Matt Parkes is just really nice Matt Parkes is just really nice Matt Parkes is just really nice

I would say honestly listen to your body. If your feeling a little tired or unmotivated get your ass to the gym and train through it. If you are really not feeling right and your body and mind really don't want you to train maybe you need to take a couple of days or maybe even a week off.
Old 10-16-2005
Valued Member

davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute

only break i take is 4 days before a contest, maybe a day off after a powerlifting meet cause those take alot out of me. Strongman meets don't break me down as much for some reason. After nationals last year willie invited me to train with him the day after the contest and you bet i took him up on it. Training with him and his crew gave me a new perspective. Seeing willie strict press 280 on a log was crazy...no leg drive

If i feel worn out on a day i'm supposed to train i'll take the day off and eat my ass off in an attempt to recover.
Old 10-16-2005
Dan Harrison

That must have hurt to have eaten your whole ass off.
Old 10-16-2005
Valued Member

Paul Neuhaus has a reputation beyond repute Paul Neuhaus has a reputation beyond repute Paul Neuhaus has a reputation beyond repute Paul Neuhaus has a reputation beyond repute Paul Neuhaus has a reputation beyond repute Paul Neuhaus has a reputation beyond repute Paul Neuhaus has a reputation beyond repute Paul Neuhaus has a reputation beyond repute Paul Neuhaus has a reputation beyond repute Paul Neuhaus has a reputation beyond repute Paul Neuhaus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Harrison
That must have hurt to have eaten your whole ass off.
He must be quite flexible!!

I pretty much follow the same method as most others....train up to the weekend before a contest. Maybe a little light speed work that Mon and Tue also. A full 5-6 day off takes a toll on me mentally. The ONLY time I take a full week off is if my wife and I go on a vacation.

Sponsored by
APT's Pro Lifting Gear
700lb DL @ 223 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4qebx71rmE

Advice to anyone else on any topic you choose: "Figure out where you’re gonna go when you die"
- Jesse Marunde
Old 10-16-2005
Valued Member

Jamie McEwan is a jewel in the rough Jamie McEwan is a jewel in the rough Jamie McEwan is a jewel in the rough

My last full week long break was prior to teen Nats. in July, and prior to that I'd been going solidly in training for 6-8 months without a break. I'm just finishing a break now because I've been getting tired with my dieting and multiple squat sessions each week. Ready to get back to it today for overheads, and tomorrow for a max DL. I don't think it's necessary to break unless you're feeling beat up, or have a contest coming up.
Old 10-16-2005
Todd Irvin

Mr_T is on a distinguished road

I've just been under a lot of stress lately and just haven't been able to put up the numbers I'm used to. It's really a mix of things, but hopefully I can clear my mind and get focused this week. I had a crappy leg workout today, so I'm just going to eat and relax for the rest of the day and make sure I get 8-9 hours of sleep tonight. That should be a good start.