Go Back   Physical Advancement > Forums Home > Main Forum

Old 06-29-2010
Serious Contributer

Drew Clayton is on a distinguished road
Default HELP!! Passing out, headaches

So from the title you can probably guess the problem and i know what some of you are thinking, "teen lifting heavy and not used to the pain" Its far worse...

As most of us know the front squat is very beneficial to sports, events, etc, however recently i have been unable to perform them. When i did/do i go beltless, atg, clean grip, basically an olympic weightlifter set up/style.

So whats the problem?

-on any weight 130kg and above i begin to buckle but it originates from the head and once i drop or re-rack the weight i have a tingling feeling that goes down from my head to body. NOT GOOD!!

I personally think it may be a back issue in the lower back, thou i have no noticeable trauma in that region other than the fact that genetically i have a very straight back (no huge S-curve). Also i may be from my head being up facing the corner of the ceiling thou if i stop this i find i lean over to much.

Overall im stuck, i wont to stay beltless and belts dont help the light-headed-ness. Also im afriad it could be a CNS problem, high blood pressure (thou i dont get this from much else other than heavy log press from rack), or something worse. Others have said it just a getting used too thou i have front squatted 140kg in the past before doing strongman. I mean i load a 365 stone without a problem, why cant i front squat that?!?!

Please help me and try to include research link or journal
Old 06-29-2010
Valued Member

Ryan Rhodes has much to be proud of Ryan Rhodes has much to be proud of Ryan Rhodes has much to be proud of Ryan Rhodes has much to be proud of Ryan Rhodes has much to be proud of Ryan Rhodes has much to be proud of Ryan Rhodes has much to be proud of Ryan Rhodes has much to be proud of Ryan Rhodes has much to be proud of Ryan Rhodes has much to be proud of

Vagus nerve/Vaso vagal syncope? Possibly orthostatic hypotension?

I've had similar problems w/ overheads.
Old 06-29-2010
Serious Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Rhodes View Post
Vagus nerve/Vaso vagal syncope? Possibly orthostatic hypotension?

I've had similar problems w/ overheads.
so who should i go to for that? any way of checking such stuff? (btw i am googling it too )
Old 06-29-2010

Marc_Wells has a spectacular aura about Marc_Wells has a spectacular aura about

I have a similar problem while front squatting too! I do it with arms crossed over, not oly style. When I get to around 170kgs its usually lights out as just before I hit the bottom and make my way up.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this?
Old 06-29-2010
Valued Member

Steve Bianchi is just really nice Steve Bianchi is just really nice Steve Bianchi is just really nice Steve Bianchi is just really nice Steve Bianchi is just really nice

Is the bar too tight against your throat ? That happens to me too, but I like when this happens makes me know I'm still alive hahahaha stars and those small blinking lights knees weak! That's the best!BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Old 06-29-2010
Forum Leader

Mike Westerling has much to be proud of Mike Westerling has much to be proud of Mike Westerling has much to be proud of Mike Westerling has much to be proud of Mike Westerling has much to be proud of Mike Westerling has much to be proud of Mike Westerling has much to be proud of Mike Westerling has much to be proud of Mike Westerling has much to be proud of

Sounds like you are choking yourself out which would be pressure on your carotid artery from the bar.

"There is no such thing as overtraining, only the bodies inability to keep up with and adapt to the ever increasing demands placed on it by the over eager athlete!"
Old 06-29-2010
Valued Member

Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future Brandon Campbell has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Campbell

thats why it happens with log and stuff too, lower the bar so it rests just in front of the clavicle and on the delts. Not on the clavicle. Basically 15-20seconds of pressure on the carotid artery and your out cold (think sleeper hold)

www.campbellstrength.com

"no rain, no rainbows"
Old 06-29-2010
Valued Member

Tom Hutchison is a glorious beacon of light Tom Hutchison is a glorious beacon of light Tom Hutchison is a glorious beacon of light Tom Hutchison is a glorious beacon of light Tom Hutchison is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Clayton View Post
so who should i go to for that? any way of checking such stuff? (btw i am googling it too )
Probably would be a wild goose chase if you went to the doctor for this. Listen to the guys here, probably just a positional problem specific to the front squat for you, sounds like cutting off blood supply to brain. This is not uncommon for strongmen it seems (log, conan's wheel, etc can do it). For me it happens when I do heavy good mornings with a SSB. If I go over 3-4 reps its nighty night time.

I've had orthostatic(positional) hypotension before, but that would be more often even when not lifting, would be fainting lightheadedness when first standing up from lying or sitting. Started when I laid down after an exhausting truck pull, put my carotid barorecpetors out of whack for a couple of months.

My suggestion would be to squat a different way for a while and not worry about it.
Old 06-30-2010
Valued Member

Ryan Wells is a glorious beacon of light Ryan Wells is a glorious beacon of light Ryan Wells is a glorious beacon of light Ryan Wells is a glorious beacon of light Ryan Wells is a glorious beacon of light

Last edited by Ryan Wells; 09-10-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-30-2010
Serious Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Campbell View Post

thats why it happens with log and stuff too, lower the bar so it rests just in front of the clavicle and on the delts. Not on the clavicle. Basically 15-20seconds of pressure on the carotid artery and your out cold (think sleeper hold)
That sounds like a possiblity. I do keep it super close to avoid having to dump it forward which is also a problem (staying upright). I will try to hold it out more i guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bianchi View Post
Is the bar too tight against your throat ? That happens to me too, but I like when this happens makes me know I'm still alive hahahaha stars and those small blinking lights knees weak! That's the best!BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Yeah sometimes i cough if its too close so yeah that is a factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Wells View Post
Are you a chest breather or do you take your breaths low, expanding your diaphragm, like you should?
i breathe low or at least i feel like i do thou i do keep the chest up for the front squats. Noted i will try to make sure in the future