Go Back   Physical Advancement > Forums Home > Training and Injuries

Old 12-16-2006
Valued Member

davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute
Default strict pressing your bodyweight

Who's done it? If you have....what did you do training wise to get there?]

If you haven't how far away are you and what are you doing to get there?

I've been stuck at a 225 strict press for 5-6 months and i'm looking for ideas to up my press
Old 12-16-2006
Valued Member

Chris Mathison has much to be proud of Chris Mathison has much to be proud of Chris Mathison has much to be proud of Chris Mathison has much to be proud of Chris Mathison has much to be proud of Chris Mathison has much to be proud of Chris Mathison has much to be proud of Chris Mathison has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebeers
Who's done it? If you have....what did you do training wise to get there?]

If you haven't how far away are you and what are you doing to get there?

I've been stuck at a 225 strict press for 5-6 months and i'm looking for ideas to up my press
I have not strict pressed my weight. but, I would ask.. where are you stuck? right off the rack position? lockout? half way up? the answer to that will help in determining what to do to get past 225.
Old 12-16-2006
Valued Member

chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute

I did the other day, but I'm only 200lbs. My problem is that my push/press, push/jerk, and strict press aren't that different for a 1RM.

www.pethumb.com
a networking site I created to bring the pet owning community together.
Old 12-16-2006
Valued Member

chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute chrisklavette has a reputation beyond repute

Just incase anyone is wondering how one gets to an astonishing 200lbs log press. Log press twice a week. One day is push it up by any means neccessary and the other day is strict pressing. Since pressing is my weak weak weak point I will be staying tuned for advice.

www.pethumb.com
Old 12-16-2006
Met-Rx Athlete

Jesse Marunde is just really nice Jesse Marunde is just really nice Jesse Marunde is just really nice Jesse Marunde is just really nice Jesse Marunde is just really nice

I've done it. JV used to say that you can't consider yourself a good presser till you could do your BW for 10. He also claimed that all of the old time oly lifters could do that.

Quit benching and spend alot of time with a bar over your head. keep it simple. just strict press alot. basic periodization always works for us.
Old 12-16-2006
Valued Member

Billy Wolt has a reputation beyond repute Billy Wolt has a reputation beyond repute Billy Wolt has a reputation beyond repute Billy Wolt has a reputation beyond repute Billy Wolt has a reputation beyond repute Billy Wolt has a reputation beyond repute Billy Wolt has a reputation beyond repute Billy Wolt has a reputation beyond repute Billy Wolt has a reputation beyond repute Billy Wolt has a reputation beyond repute Billy Wolt has a reputation beyond repute

i've done 210 @ 230lbs...not that far off...but that was months ago, haven't strict pressed in a while.
Old 12-16-2006
Valued Member

Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future

Yeah, I can do it. At about 220, I strict press 235. Personally, I like lots of volume on OHP for no good reason other than it seems to work for me.

Chris, my training partner has the same problem of little separation between his strict and push presses. At 197, he can do 230 and 240 respectively. His problem, though, is he lacks flexibility and the only point of contact with the bar during a push is his hands. Since the arms they're attached to are not 100% rigid, he'll never get maximum efficiency out of his leg drive. We're trying to get to where he's comfortable with the bar across his shoulders, but it's slow going.
Old 12-16-2006
Valued Member

Justin Warren has a spectacular aura about Justin Warren has a spectacular aura about Justin Warren has a spectacular aura about

I've done 305 strict on a cambered squat bar at a BW of 295-300. I don't know what I would get on a straight bar. My upper body days are pretty simple. One day is overhead on the cambered bar for heavy sets of 5, 3, or rarely a max. Then I do some kind of bench press, usually close grip or power grip, for sets of 3-7. My other day looks about the same but I bench first, and sometimes do seated over head partials instead of a full press. I do upper back on one day and lats on the other.
Old 12-16-2006
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Hessenbruch
Yeah, I can do it. At about 220, I strict press 235. Personally, I like lots of volume on OHP for no good reason other than it seems to work for me.

Chris, my training partner has the same problem of little separation between his strict and push presses. At 197, he can do 230 and 240 respectively. His problem, though, is he lacks flexibility and the only point of contact with the bar during a push is his hands. Since the arms they're attached to are not 100% rigid, he'll never get maximum efficiency out of his leg drive. We're trying to get to where he's comfortable with the bar across his shoulders, but it's slow going.
So, if I get more flexible I will be a better log presser? More overhead squats and snatches?

www.pethumb.com
Old 12-16-2006

Elliot Baum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Elliot Baum

I can do around bodyweight but I weigh 230, to strengthen the lower end I've used alot of rambo pressing, for the top -seated rack lockouts, and kettlebell pressing has also helped out alot.