Go Back   Physical Advancement > Forums Home > Training and Injuries

Old 12-17-2006
Alex Devenyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Izzo
I can't say I'm a real good presser, but I was messing with some behind the neck push presses over the summer for my first time and was able to get about 200 for 3 or 4 reps @ 205 body weight; I don't know what my strict press is. What I do know is that I eventually hit a brick wall. My shoulders got all messed up and I found out that the problem was that I had weak external rotators. And after doing some research on these matters I would conclude that having weak external rotators (teres minor and infraspinatus) will put a limit on how much you can do in any pressing movement, let it be bench presses or overhead presses. And also once the problem is fixed, from what I understand, strength in pressing movements will go up automatically. It's taking me a while to fix the problem, but along with some hard work, time is doing it's job.
Got any good website links or exercises to try out?
Old 12-17-2006
Hard Core Member

Matt Reynolds is a glorious beacon of light Matt Reynolds is a glorious beacon of light Matt Reynolds is a glorious beacon of light Matt Reynolds is a glorious beacon of light Matt Reynolds is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Schnellbächer
I can`t, and I`m a really bad presser, too
Right now I started seated overhead work to increase my strict pressing skill... after this I´m going for voulume push presses wich means I trie to press as many reps as possibly with a given weight fo two sets, when I get like 10 - 15 reps I increase the weight next time. Then Front Squats for speed and alot of trizeps work...
I hope this helps. I also started to do some Olympic Lifts once a weak for more speed and flexebility.
But the problem is not really the speed. When I push press the weight (no real jerk...) I can press around 50 lb more but my max is just arround 220 (strict press is 165 lb)
At a BW of around 220... now you can imagen how weak my shoulders are...
Tobias,

Seated overhead work is a poor choice for strongman. Also, 2 sets fo 10-15 reps won't make you much, if any stronger. You need to just hit heavy standing military press once per week and push press/jerk once per week. That combo has never failed with myself or any of the athletes I work with to dramatically increade their overhead strength.
Old 12-17-2006
Valued Member

Ryan Wells is a glorious beacon of light Ryan Wells is a glorious beacon of light Ryan Wells is a glorious beacon of light Ryan Wells is a glorious beacon of light Ryan Wells is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds
Tobias,

Seated overhead work is a poor choice for strongman. Also, 2 sets fo 10-15 reps won't make you much, if any stronger. You need to just hit heavy standing military press once per week and push press/jerk once per week. That combo has never failed with myself or any of the athletes I work with to dramatically increade their overhead strength.
What do you think of push presses followed by a back off set of strict in the same workout?
Old 12-17-2006
Hard Core Member

Matt Reynolds is a glorious beacon of light Matt Reynolds is a glorious beacon of light Matt Reynolds is a glorious beacon of light Matt Reynolds is a glorious beacon of light Matt Reynolds is a glorious beacon of light

I like it fine, but I think there still needs to be a day where you focus on your strict pressing strength (if that is indeed what you are trying to increase). The reason for that is because after explosive pressing, your CNS is primed for that style of pressing and it's hard to get in the groove for a strict militray press afterwards. However, for some additional work and to induce hypertrophy in your delts, then doing a drop set or two of strict after the explosive work is fine.
Old 12-17-2006
Valued Member

Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future Kurt Hessenbruch has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisklavette
So, if I get more flexible I will be a better log presser? More overhead squats and snatches?
Well, my training partner is really inflexible. He can't hold a clean grip front squat, and thus can't get the bar to his shoulders for the push. It's more about his wrists, so I don't know how much OH squats or snatches would help with that particular problem. Certainly wouldn't hurt, though. With a log, it's not nearly as difficult because the log gives you more space between the handles and your body.
Old 12-17-2006
Met-Rx Athlete

Jesse Marunde is just really nice Jesse Marunde is just really nice Jesse Marunde is just really nice Jesse Marunde is just really nice Jesse Marunde is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds
Tobias,

I couldn't agree more
Old 12-17-2006

jon hergert will become famous soon enough jon hergert will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Marunde
I've done it. JV used to say that you can't consider yourself a good presser till you could do your BW for 10. He also claimed that all of the old time oly lifters could do that.
I remember reading that long time ago. Been working on my strict press ever since, 6 years. Improved quite a bit, so finally tried BW for 10. Got 220*5 and that was it. Still not sure how anyone does BW for 10.
Old 12-17-2006
Valued Member

CharlesDMickey has much to be proud of CharlesDMickey has much to be proud of CharlesDMickey has much to be proud of CharlesDMickey has much to be proud of CharlesDMickey has much to be proud of CharlesDMickey has much to be proud of CharlesDMickey has much to be proud of CharlesDMickey has much to be proud of CharlesDMickey has much to be proud of CharlesDMickey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon hergert
I remember reading that long time ago. Been working on my strict press ever since, 6 years. Improved quite a bit, so finally tried BW for 10. Got 220*5 and that was it. Still not sure how anyone does BW for 10.

You are supposed to start the quest before you’re OLD!
Old 12-17-2006
Valued Member

davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute davebeers has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon hergert
i'm sure someone under 5'6" could do it.

I'd be willing to bet most pro's couldn't strict press their bw overhead 10x
Old 12-17-2006
D.Norris

Iv strict pressed 172.5kg Bw 165kg - theres no way I could do it 10 times!

I think tricep strength is a must for a big strict press!